Paul Imhoff: 2-Time Heart Attack Survivor


I had my first heart attack 26 years ago, when I was 52. I was very active
then, sometimes jogging and often walking long distances. But I was also on the
congressional staff in Washington, and the day leading up to the attack was
even more hectic than usual. My boss was introducing major legislation, and I
had crafted an important floor speech. I didn’t have time for regular meals and
ate a huge cheeseburger for dinner, then smoked three or four cigarettes.

It happened about 3 in the morning. I awoke to severe pain in both arms, and
felt like two elephants were perched atop a broomstick pressing into my chest.
The ambulance ride to the hospital seemed brief, but I really don’t know how
long it lasted. I can only recall that I was in a quiet panic, mumbling my last
prayers before I went “poof,” yet still hoping I would wake up in this world. I
did — in an intensive care unit, extremely tired, weak, and disoriented.

Eventually, I went home and after a yearlong effort, I was able to kick my
30-year smoking habit. All was well until 15 years later when I had a second
heart attack. But this time it was different. The pain was mild. I was simply
short of breath and sweating. My wife recognized this as symptomatic of a heart
attack. She insisted I go to the hospital, where the doctors told me my heart
had suffered major damage. Two weeks later I was released with a stack of
prescriptions and advice to see my doctor often.

Then, just last year, I found I couldn’t get through the day without a nap.
I didn’t have the energy to mow the lawn, do fix-up jobs around the house, or
spend time with my grandchildren. I had started a novel, but I couldn’t even

My cardiologist told me my heart function was at about 35% capacity in
comparison to a healthy heart. He suggested a defibrillator implant. On his
advice, I visited another cardiologist who specialized in these devices. The
implant he wanted to give me is called an ICD, or implantable cardioverter
defibrillator, a device designed to monitor for abnormal heart rhythms.

There is always a risk with any surgery, and I was apprehensive. The very
thought of this one, where the doctor cuts into your chest, inserts a gadget,
and attaches wires from it to the vessels that lead to your heart, was
traumatic in itself. But then I was told I would be the first person in the
United States to get this particular model. Wow! I sure felt special, but the
downside was that there weren’t any testimonials or reports about how well (or
badly) it functioned. “I sure hope it works,” I thought.

Well, so far it has. I can mow the lawn and do chores again. My wife says
she has her husband back and that I really should start writing again. I have
renewed energy but also — and most important — I have hope.

Read more member stories from WebMD community

Originally published in the September/October 2007 issue of WebMD the